Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Teachers as Leaders... Really?

One of the many points in the article Understanding Teacher Leadership that resonates with me is the reluctance to be labeled as a leader. I very much relate & sympathize with the concerns the article points out: that teachers feel they do not have the skills to lead other adults. While principals and other leaders are required to learn leadership skills, teachers rarely are engaged in building these skills. Finally, the egalitarian norms of school cultures suggest that all teachers should be equal. This strong norm discourages teachers from drawing attention to themselves. Fearing the reactions of their colleagues, teachers hesitate to be singled out of the group in an environment that has valued treating all teachers the same. These are things that I often think about when I have an idea.......

2 comments:

  1. It can be a very intimidating thing...and those concerns are all too real. But as long as you picture leadership in a broad way- I think you can find a path that fits with your style, goals, abilities. I always think of Shakespearean characters like Cassius in Julius Ceaser--he was a powerful influencer without obviously being a leader. Now, if he only weren't evil...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evil I am not. :) I like the reference to being an influencer without the label..thank you!

      Delete